9.21.2017

puppy cries

i threw my coat on
unzipped and flapping in the morning wind
blowing around the corner 
of the house
down the sidewalk i saw a small black pup with big brown eyes
looking so tiny he could fit in my pocket 
small as a mouse

as i approached him oh so slowly
he seemed to want to run
i called him and offered out my hand
with a quiet smile
with hesitation and a bit of fear he came closer to me little wags of his tail
his little body was cold I could tell
hungry and tired

he smelled my fingers
his little tongue licked my thumb
he drew nearer to me needing my warmth
i bent down and gently picking him up walked back home

he ate every morsel of the kibble I put down
and drank up every drop
when he finally finished his belly was so full and round
i thought he just might pop
his little eyes closed slowly as I rubbed that pudgy belly
and he drifted off to a puppy sleep
not sure where he came from
but he was welcome in my home forever.

No comments:

an apology

blistering heat from the scourged and scoured sun is turning and burning my skin to a radiant dayglow rainbow  of blues purples and reds alm...