5.31.2011

cafeteria

in the cafeteria
cold tile floors
and blank waxy stares
robotic mannequins
rotate behind the glass
hairnets grip their molded gray hair

freakin impenetrable carton of milk
cold dinner rolls
old cornchip pie
chili con carne
macaroni surprise
i was just a kid
but i was so ready to die

fiberglass trays made back in 1958
mangled metal forks and spoons
that look like something
the garabage disposal ate

punchcard lunchcard
money in my pocket
better spent at the candy store
on the way walking home

square dancing afternoons from hell
praying to the heavens above
for the 3:00 bell
don't pick me don't pick me
under my breath
it never helped

in the cafeteria
that unforgettable smell
hot steam and tunafish casserole
burned into my memory
and 40 years later
it still torments my soul

No comments:

an apology

blistering heat from the scourged and scoured sun is turning and burning my skin to a radiant dayglow rainbow  of blues purples and reds alm...