9.14.2009

Just me and the sea

drifting down the outbound shallows of the seine
all alone with a crowd of one just me and a man
oaken nut brown trees drop their leaves in the autumn breeze
the air is filled with a thousand violas playing a lively tribute to the clean
angry water slaps the side of my one man red tender as i laugh...

green seaweed slides by as the current sweeps me out to sea
watching the shoreline fade into the ocean's face
it's just me and the water
it's just me and the sea.

in my mountain town i wasn't too bothered by my imperfections
but now that i'm on the high seas solo with my song and the waves' reflections
if one wayward gull and a curious whale weren't my friends
i'd embrace insanity and wave hello to the end...

but i pulled myself together and stopped staring at the sun
television and technology is too far away miles and miles ago
back to the self-imposed compromise and I embrace my soliloquy
homage to the sunset's glow, a tribute to the sea.

starlight brighter than i've ever seen
anywhere i've ever been
poking through my closed eyelids
and the restless agony of my dreams
it's just me and the water
it's just me and the sea.

breaking my fast at dawn
skin salty from the briny spray breaking on the bow
I'll be digitizing my thoughts when i return
but pencil and logbook accompany me now
chronicling the passage of time and distance behind me and yet to pass...

tradewinds cut the lines billow the sails
as leeward islands climb out of the swells
a new-found energy and optimistim bouys my spirits
sculpting a smile out of my wind-burned exhaustion...

happily dancing
after tying the boat to the pier
happily drinking
beer after caribbean beer
journey is half complete and my return voyage will be near
but for a few days i will wrap myself in the native islander cheer.

No comments:

an apology

blistering heat from the scourged and scoured sun is turning and burning my skin to a radiant dayglow rainbow  of blues purples and reds alm...